The Red Roses baseball team poses for a group portrait in 1949. The team was a part of the Central Catawba League, a textiles league with teams in Lancaster, Chester, Fort Mill, Kershaw and Great Falls.
Their games were played at Roach Stewart Field, where the Wylie St. pool is present day and at a field near Springs Cotton Mills.
Several of these players were World War ll veterans.The mill leagues in South Carolina became popular around 1908 and continued through the late 1950s.
First row left to right:
Bill Moore, Martin Roberts, T. A. Berry, Curt Beasley, J. D. Thomas
Tommy Roebuck, Joe Blackston, Robert Avant, “Bull” Rushing, Doug Angley
A. Z. F. Wood, jr. , Glenn Reynolds, Bill Camp, Cy Havird,
(Johnny Sykes, Richard Motsinger, and Clyde Walker not present when picture was made)
(Photo by Lavoy Baukniight/The Lancaster Archive)